Hi and Welcome to MAP!
MAP is the Mitty Advocacy Project. What is that? (you ask)…
Mitty students work with their California legislators and federal legislators on issues to protect the quality of life for the less fortunate.
Our next meeting is Wednesday 2:45 p.m. in Room 105 and we meet every other week.
OK, I love this!!!!! Where do I sign up?
We don’t do sign ups (too 1990’s). Go to our forum and say hi in the introduction section and come to our meeting Wednesday and say hi face to face. Because human interaction is a good thing.
MAP Team Forum
The Mitty Advocacy Project is off to a fast start to the 2015 to 2016 school year as we have met and selected our four main issues which we would be focusing on this year.
Using a method coined “grassroots up”, which chooses issues based on students’ ideas and proposals, Mitty Advocacy Project is proud to announce the four issues we have chosen to address:
- human trafficking
- criminal justice reform
- wealth gap
- police accountability
MAP has focused on human trafficking and criminal justice reform before but both issues of the wealth gap and police accountability are brand new. Regardless of new or old, we are ready to tackle these issues head on with passion, drive, and commitment.
As for our plans this year, we have scheduled for a group of our brightest individuals to attend a trip to Washington DC, anticipate giving lectures and informational meetings in our local communities, and plan to extend our reach in communities in order to promote widespread awareness of these issues.
Hi and Welcome Back to School Everyone!
If you’re reading this, you well know our first meeting is underway and we are getting started with some fantastic goals and activities for you this year.
We have an action packed year for you this year! Tell your friends and get involved. Students brainstormed and voted from dozens of issues and selected the Top 4 issues they want to advocate for this year.
The Criteria for selection:
- The issue must help make a measurable and tangible difference for the lives of the marginalized and suffering and help as many people as possible.
- The issue must be relevant in the current Federal and State legislatures with active legislation.
- The issues must be grassroots led. Students select issues and propose them for selection.
- The issue must be feasible for a vote (in the legislature) in one school year.
The issues for the Mitty Advocacy Project for the 2015 and 2016 School year are:
- Human Trafficking
- Criminal Justice Youth Rehabilitation
- Wealth Gap – disparity between the wealthy and poor and suffering.
- Accountability of Law Enforcement